Why Cloth diapers are better for the Environment
With people becoming more educated, vigilant and sensitive about their carbon-footprint here are just a few facts that demonstrate why cloth diapers are better than disposable:
- Disposable diapers are made up of pulp, plastic and paper which is toxic to the environment.
- In North America alone, 1 billion trees are cut down every year to generate disposable diapers.
- Over 4 million diapers are discarded each day in Canada.
- Vancouverites contribute 18,000 tonnes of diapers to the landfill each year; diapers comprise 2% of our city’s solid waste.
- Canadian families throw away 1.7 billion disposable diapers every year, which results in 30% of total non-biodegradable waste in our landfills.
The change to Cloth Diapering is beneficial for the Environment from any angle.