What are some of the reasons or causes of leaky diapers?
Leaky diapers are frustrating but it’s important to figure out why this is happening. Common causes for leaks are:
- 1. Absorbency
- It might be that the inserts need to be replaced. Overtime inserts will just lose their ability to work and they will need to be replaced.
- Babies “wetness” might require the right insert combination. You might need to “double up” on the inserts to increase the absorbency.
- 2. Infrequent diaper changes
- Cloth diapers, like disposable diapers, should be changed often-usually every 2-3 hours. May vary depending on baby wetness.
- This will prevent the growth of bacteria, skin irritation, rash, smell etc.
- 3. Residue/Detergent build up
- Over time, your diapers may begin to repel liquid for a variety of reasons, ranging from detergent buildup, fabric softeners, diaper creams etc. This may require stripping.
Knowing the cause will help the cure.